Tuesday, July 2, 2013

The Moon and More by Sarah Dessen...

Series: -
Published: June 4th 2013 by Viking Juvenile
Pages: 435
Date Finished: June 23rd, 2013
Rating: 2 stars
Age Recommendation: -

Synopsis:

Luke is the perfect boyfriend: handsome, kind, fun. He and Emaline have been together all through high school in Colby, the beach town where they both grew up. But now, in the summer before college, Emaline wonders if perfect is good enough.

Enter Theo, a super-ambitious outsider, a New Yorker assisting on a documentary film about a reclusive local artist. Theo's sophisticated, exciting, and, best of all, he thinks Emaline is much too smart for Colby.

Emaline's mostly-absentee father, too, thinks Emaline should have a bigger life, and he's convinced that an Ivy League education is the only route to realizing her potential. Emaline is attracted to the bright future that Theo and her father promise. But she also clings to the deep roots of her loving mother, stepfather, and sisters. Can she ignore the pull of the happily familiar world of Colby?

Emaline wants the moon and more, but how can she balance where she comes from with where she's going?

Sarah Dessen's devoted fans will welcome this story of romance, yearning, and, finally, empowerment. It could only happen in the summer.


Review:

I had extremely high expectations going into this book after reading all and loving all but one of Sarah Dessen's books, I found sadly that this book just really didn't live up to the expectation that I have when it comes to a Sarah Dessen book.

The plot. I found myself not really being able to immerse myself in the plot of this book and I think the main reason for that is because really what the book centres around just didn't interest me. I found the pacing of the book to be rather slow and I felt that the story dragged on a lot and it was a really very easy book for me to put down, which is something I'm not usually able to do when it comes to a Sarah Dessen book. I felt that the plot wasn't really going anywhere so I decided after many times of almost putting it down that it was finally time for me to move onto another book and come back to it at a later date and re-read and finally finish the whole book.

The characters. For me I found that I couldn't relate to any of the characters which was a big surprise and also a disappointment as I had loved all of the other characters in Sarah Dessen's books before and I think this was also another big reason why I found myself not being able to enjoy the book.
Emeline. For me Emeline's character just fell flat which I found really disappointing. I didn't think that she was a very interesting character and I just couldn't find myself being able to relate to her so in turn I couldn't really sympathise with her in the things that she was going through and for me to really enjoy a book I have to be able to connect with the main character.
Theo. Theo was a character that really annoyed me. I can't really pin-point one thing but there was just something about him that always got on my nerves.

Overall for me this book wasn't one of Sarah Dessen's best, but I will be giving this book a re-read sometime soon because I think one of the main reasons I found that it dragged so much was because of the long intervals I had when reading the book and I will re-review this book when I give it a second read. But as my feelings on the book stand right now, this isn't a book I would say you had to immediately rush out and buy.

No comments:

Post a Comment